Sunday 1 February 2015

Beeees!

Mild temperatures and a breath of warmth in the winter sunshine was enough to bring the bees out for a much-needed wing stretch. Some of the hives are very quiet, others more active. It's always a worry at this time of year as to whether the bees are ok and because I leave my colonies to lead their own lives with minimal physical intervention on my part, it's hard to sit back and just watch. I am always surprised at how well the bees fare and despite the portentious emails from the BBKA about starvation at this time of year, I assume that if the last honey I took was in early August - and even then, just the top box or a few of the capped middle frames - then they should be fine without supplementary feeding. Taking the lid off to put food in expels all the precious warm air that the bees work hard to maintain so I prefer to keep my fingers crossed and pre-empt winter stores problems by mindfulness in the preceding summer with prudent honey harvesting. It's still a difficult time though and the sound of buzzing is so welcome on a mild January day!

This is one of the busier colony and was enormous
going in to the winter

These bees are checking out an
empty hive
This colony was a bit quieter


No comments:

Post a Comment